Re: [TowerTalk] ferrites for Beverage transformers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ferrites for Beverage transformers
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 10:10:03 -0700
No.The first two digits in the part number indicate the application for which the part is intended, and for which it is tested to meet published specs. You can, for example, buy toroids of the same material and physical dimensions that are tested as inductive components that carry one part number and those tested as suppression components with a different part number. #61 material is sold as an inductive part for use at HF and as a suppression part for use at UHF. ALL ferrite parts have this behavior and application -- the difference between one mix and another is where in the frequency spectrum this transition takes place. That's why I could use #43 cores, designed for suppression at VHF to wind inductive components (transformers) for 2-4 MHz.

The second two digiits indicate the mix -- the chemical composition of the material, and thus its electrical properties. The last two digits indicate its finish. 02 indicates that it is burnished to eliminate sharp edges. The intermediate digits indicate form factor.

I don't understand the reluctance to go to Fair-Rite's website, download and study their catalog. In my 50+ years as an EE graduate and much of it a working engineer, Fair-Rite's technical data is among the top half dozen companies EVER, ranking with companies like RCA, TI, ElectroVoice, and National Semiconductor in the detail they provide about their products. It is possible to actually LEARN by STUDYING the Fair-Rite catalog. Assuming, of course, a basic understanding of the fundamentals.

http://www.fair-rite.com/files1/Fair-Rite_Catalog_17th_Edition.pdf Material specs begin on page 10. Page 30 describes #73 material. A quick study of the first graph of complex permeability vs frequency shows that it is a poor choice as an inductive component above 1 MHz. Why it has become popular for Beverage transformers is a mystery to me. The only logic that comes to mind is "monkey see, monkey do." Indeed, W2DU CORRECTLY chose this material for his "string of beads" common mode choke that he called a "current balun," because is it quite lossy in the HF spectrum.

73, Jim K9YC