Re: [TowerTalk] Ethernet grounding on tower?

To: <towertalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ethernet grounding on tower?
From: "Steve, W3AHL" <w3ahl@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 14:35:33 -0400
I helped support some mesh-like nodes at the 300’ level of towers.  The LAN
surge suppressors protected the equipment on the tower and ground during direct
strikes to other antennas (which vaporized) on the tower, but we had failures
with the RJ45 connectors on the LAN surge suppressor boards.  The contacts
would vaporize due to the surge current and arc over voltage.  We replaced them
with a model that wired the shielded CAT5 cable directly to terminals on the
board and never had another failure (while I was involved -- I have since
moved).

Steve, W3AHL