Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Ratings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind Ratings
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 10:25:56 -0700
On 6/12/17 9:15 AM, Wilson Lamb wrote:
“Most zoning ordinances stipulate a setback requirement for a tower.  Around here, the
setback from the nearest property line must be equal to or greater than 75% of the total
height of the tower.”

And what’s the sense of that?  Why isn’t the top 25% dangerous?  Actually, it’s likely the
most dangerous.  It’s moving fastest and has that big ol’ antenna antenna on it.

you're asking for an engineering rationale for a "that sounds like a decent requirement" kind of rule.

I suspect that a lot of these get defined by "there's a lot of 40 foot things around, and lots are 60 feet wide, and if we make it 100%, a lot of people will yell, but if we make it 75%, then the number of people who complain is sufficiently small"

Or, based on somebody else's 75% rule, which is based on yet a 3rd 75% rule, etc.

Or it's based on guying radius, and nobody thought that it should change for a self supporter.

I've also heard of 50%, and of course, there's plenty of 100% rules out there.