Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain LP-1010

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain LP-1010
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 09:31:34 -0400
>"Maybe it’s a myth but I've always understood LP's to be equally poor
>everywhere. Not great FB - nor gain.:

A myth equal to that of all vertical antennas being poor radiators in all
directions.  Of course, verticals are often poor radiators when the other half
of the antenna is missing or there are appreciable ground losses from poor or
missing radial systems.

My experience with LPDAs has shown very good F/B of at least 20 dB on all bands
from a Tennadyne T14-HD.  The #1 caveat with the LPDA is that the gain-to-boom
length ratio is poor.  While the T14 has a 42 ft. boom, 4Nec2 shows that 90% of
radiated power comes from 2, and sometimes 3 active elements from the string of
14.  Some literature I've read indicates that all elements are active from a
traditional LPDA.  Well, they are - but the majority of elements are not very
active at all.  This is seen during NEC modeling.  In effect, the LPDA's
performance is roughly equal to a 2-3 element full size Yagi on a short boom.

BTW, the Tennadyne web site shows 8.5 dBd of free-space gain for the T14-HD.
Not even close.  It's actually about 5.5 dBd.  Using W8IO's LPDA modeling
software, I calculate a boom length of over 200 ft. with normal sigma and tau
values to get that kind of gain.  Why?  A 200+ ft. boom means that the active
elements are now spread out over perhaps 30 ft.  The only viable way to
construct such an antenna is with wire elements strung between two large
supports with no ability to change directions.

Probably a better solution is the newer optimized LPDAs since in the amateur
service we don’t need continuous, end-to-end coverage from our antennas.
Despite the limitations of the T14-HD, there were some practical reasons why we
chose it over other types but that can be discussed in another thread.

Paul, W9AC