[TowerTalk] US Tower gearbox leak

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower gearbox leak
From: Jeff Draughn <n0ost99@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 21:42:47 +0000
 I have a US towers HDX 555 I recently asked about what oil to use in the
gearbox  here on the list and got the synthetic 630 oil which was
 recommended.

I now have a leak that I thought was at the bottom drain hole however after
trying to get the plug to seal a couple of times I've now noticed that it
seems the oil is coming out of the seal for the shaft and running down the
housing and dripping off right at the drain screw .

 I had not had any leaks before going to the synthetic oil however the old
oil was in such bad shape thick and gunky that it probably was just too
thick to leak anyway.  It was a used tower.

 I'm wondering if going back to dino oil would help with this or am I
looking at rebuild or replacement of the gearbox?

Thanks
Jeff, N0OST