Re: [TowerTalk] Field Day

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Field Day
From: "jcjacobsen@q.com" <jcjacobsen@q.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 20:33:31 -0400 (EDT)
How do,

Here is the original post:
<SNIP>
On 6/29/2017 9:19 AM, Herb Krumich via TowerTalk wrote:
> Every year after field day questions are raised for the following yearHere is
> mineWhat do big clubs do about operating CW and SSB on the same band ?I see
> no filters that are that tight.My only thought is to have the antennas as far
> apart as possible.Possibly one being vertical and the other horizontal.Your
> thoughts please

Good question, and the answers are nothing more than the fundamentals.

1) Use ONLY radios that are clean on transmit and whose receivers have
good strong signal overload and rejection. The link is a summary of the
transmitter cleanliness measurements by ARRL Labs of a selection of rigs.

http://k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf

El cheapo entry level rigs like the IC706, FT897, and others that work
160M to 440 MHz FM have no place in multi-transmitter environments. And,
as the link shows, the most expensive rigs are not the cleanest ones.
Some of the best choices for FD are the Elecraft K3, K3S, and KX3, and
the Flex 6500/6700, which are fairly expensive, and the Kenwood TS590S
and SG, which are not. In general, Icom and Yaseu rigs are dirtie

<SNIP>

My comments:

I realize that every situation is different. And while I do respect K9YC and
his statements,
I'll take exception this one time. ie: Statement: " El cheapo entry level rigs
like the IC706, FT897, and others that work 160M to 440 MHz FM have no place in
multi-transmitter environments."

This year our club used an OCF 80/10 at about 32' high, and an 80 meter loop at
abt 24' high.
They were separated by abt 100 with the end of the OCF pointed at the loop
(perpendicular to)

We discovered Saturday eve that we had both stations on 20 meters, on on SSB
and the other CW. Very little to no interference.

The loop was being used with an FT897D and the OCF with a Yaesu FT-991. No
filters, bandpass or otherwise. Maybe we were lucky, but I won't knock a rig
that behaves.

Again, I respect Jim, K9YC, but this time I have to disagree.

I hope everyone had as much fun as we did at Field Day.

73 es GDDX
K9WN Jake
Eden Prairie Radio Club K0EPR