Re: [TowerTalk] Saddle clamps (muffler clamps)

To: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Saddle clamps (muffler clamps)
From: Steve NR4M <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 09:40:29 -0400
Hello Gary,

Good luck on finding something.

Years ago, I was not happy with my choices. I just can not see paying ~$15 for a SS U-bolt and 'part-the-way-around' saddle. Don't know the alloy of the SS material, but you can bet it's not the best stuff out there. But, what really gripes me is because of the high coefficient of adhesion, stainless galls and seizes sooo easily. If I really NEED to use SS, I consider it a 'one use' item.. I have not found a anti seize compound that works well enough, or LONG ENOUGH, to alleviate this problem.
All may be fine now, but try and take the U-bolt apart in 5 years.

Doesn't help you, but my solution was to have custom U-bolts made in quantity, in several sizes, with a hot dipped galvanized coating. Never had one fail; never had one gall. I found a place in FL that makes what I want.

For saddles, I make my own from billet 6061-T6 aluminum 3/4 of an inch thick, and just shy of a half circle. These things hold super tight. Fortunate to be a retired machinist and have a Bridgeport milling machine. Wish I had a CNC machine, but not too bad doing 50 at a time.

Good luck.

73 de Steve, NR4M