Re: [TowerTalk] waterproofing big #31 clamp-on choke

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] waterproofing big #31 clamp-on choke
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 17:51:59 -0700
On 6/30/2017 4:09 PM, N2TK, Tony wrote:
Last winter I had a couple FT-240 Fair-Rite #31 cores on my receive antennas
break. They were on the ground here in upstate NY.

Thanks Tony. Tell me about the mechanical details -- was this a single choke on two cores, or two single-core chokes? Was freeze/thaw a factor -- that is, did they get wet/icy?

The only reason I recommend NOT enclosing chokes is to maximize dissipation of any heat produced. That's not an issue on RX lines.

73, Jim K9YC