Re: [TowerTalk] Fiberglass life expectancy

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fiberglass life expectancy
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 08:05:05 -0500
Not all fiberglass (AKA GRP Glass Reinforced Plastic) is created equal.  Some is made with Acrylic resins, some with various epoxy resins and so forth.  Some have UV stabilizer(s) in the mix and some don't. Comparing anecdotal "evidence" of environmental robustness is essentially futile unless the nitty gritty of the chemistry is also known.  It is like saying, I have a bag of stuff and it is pretty heavy and when exposed to the weather in Minot, ND during a really cold winter it didn't catch fire.  Now compare that to your bag of stuff in a meaningful way.

Painting fiberglass?  Is it contaminated with mold release?  If yes, then what kind, silicone, water soluble, or what. Many variables to consider when painting fiberglass. Clean is good. Lightly abraded to foster tooth is good.  Well proven coatings successfully employed on fiberglass boats with exposure to sunlight and foot traffic are good candidates for fiberglass coatings exposed to the weather in many ham applications.

Patrick        NJ5G