Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning raised radial verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning raised radial verticals
From: Rudy Bakalov via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 17:11:37 -0400
Dan, Gary, and everybody who took the time to read and respond...thank you very
much for your time and effort to provide some very thoughtful and fact based
feedback.

This has been a great learning experience for me. Obviously I did some
selective reading of ON4UN's book and falsely concluded that I can get away
with 1 to 4 raised radials.  Well, the models and practical experience shared
here, as well as re-reading the book, made me rethink this array.

I will lower the verticals and add ground radials. Definitely not looking
forward to laying the radials, but I can't argue with the facts.

Lowering the verticals has the benefit of the wires being below the 68' KT36XA.
The wires and the yagi director are perpendicular to each other and unlikely to
interact, but moving them further apart can only help.

The other no-regrets work will be adding more common mode choke resistance to
the DXE phasing lines. DXE admitted that the current number of beads is too low
and will be increased in the very near future, which of course didn't help me
with the current project.

Finally, I am contemplating replacing some of the wire with aluminum to
hopefully gain some more bandwidth. The question is how tall they can go
without guy wires.

Again, sincerely appreciate everybody's input.

P.S. If anyone has built a really long boom (2 or 3 wave lengths) wired inv V
yagi for 20m and has the EZNec models, please let me know. I am considering a
wire yagi fixed on 355 degrees to help me with polar region contacts. My
station is in VE3 and this path is tough.

Rudy N2WQ

Sent using a tiny keyboard.  Please excuse brevity, typos, or inappropriate
autocorrect.