Re: [TowerTalk] phased verticals again

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] phased verticals again
From: Rudy Bakalov via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 20:59:12 -0400
Hi Kelly,

The big picture here is that I am optimizing not only for gain, F/B, etc. but
also for time. There are 684 very long miles between CT and my station in VE3.
So I always consider how long would it take to do this and that project and if
I will ever have the time to complete it.

The K8UR array was the very first option I considered. I ruled it out thinking
that it will take a long time to tune the dipoles.

So the elevated radials seem like a good shortcut. I really didn't feel like
clearing the bush and trees around the tower to lay the radials.

I also considered going with aluminum from the very beginning. A fairly
straightforward project. Again, didn't want to clear the forest to make room
for a standalone array so decided to use the tower and string the wires. I also
made the mistake to share my plans with my European friends who somehow managed
to talk me out of aluminum (it's quite expensive and not quite readily
available in telescoping sizes).

So this is how I ended up with wires and raised radials. For now I will keep
the wires, but lay ground radials. Perhaps will hire the kids to help :-).

Unfortunately I won't have the time to do so until next spring and VC3I will
have a mediocre 80 m antenna for CQ WW RTTY and CW. I hope it's at least as
good as the inv V at 90' I took down last week.

Rudy N2WQ

Sent using a tiny keyboard.  Please excuse brevity, typos, or inappropriate
autocorrect.