Re: [TowerTalk] Your experience with rope capstan hoists or winches

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Your experience with rope capstan hoists or winches
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 21:16:34 -0400
For any kind of serious ham tower work, a good quality cathead, or capstan hoist, is a Godsend. As Wayne mentioned, the AB Chance catheads are the industry standard.

Unless you are pulling loads far from a 115V outlet, you will be thankful that you chose a 115V AC model.

Chance has two 115V models - a 1000lb version for around $2k, and a 3000lb version for around $3k. The main difference is gearing - the 1000lb version runs 40' per minute, and the 3000lb version runs at 12' per minute. I have half a dozen of them. We use these catheads for pulling fairly heavy loads (by ham standards) up 1000' towers. You must have patience (because of the low line speed), but they run forever.

Personally I'd stay away from the cheaper 12V capstans, but they might be worth a try for light ham use. Let us know if they work out for you.

-Steve K8LX.