Re: [TowerTalk] Your experience with rope capstan hoists or winches

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Your experience with rope capstan hoists or winches
From: Mike DeChristopher <mfdechristopher@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 13:42:26 -0400
Rick (and Charlie, et al),

The way I've secured the rope to prevent free fall with a capstan is to use
a grigri device on the output end. Leaves enough slack to control up and
down inches, but won't allow the rope to pull free. I just pull the excess
rope through it whenever we pause the lift.

A grigri is a type of belay device intended for rock climbing, so will only
work with certain diameter rope. In my case, I use climbing variety rope
anyway. I believe my model is made by Petzl.

GL
Mike N1TA

On Sep 12, 2017 10:24 PM, "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>