Re: [TowerTalk] 80m vertical size calculation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m vertical size calculation
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:26:04 -0700
Antenna resonance (and SWR bandwidth) are affected by conductor diameter. I don't understand why we continue to rely on formulas assuming wire as the conductor when it is trivially easy to model a vertical monopole in programs like NEC that can take conductor diameter into account (and can do a LOT more).  Modeling and measurement can be a great teacher -- they certainly have been for me.

I use W7EL's EZNEC because I find it easy to wrap my head around the user interface. It's not free. Others prefer 4NEC2, which is free, but I don't like the user interface.

73, Jim K9YC