[TowerTalk] FW: Installing a Ham-IV rotor on Tashjian w-51 tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Installing a Ham-IV rotor on Tashjian w-51 tower
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 14:47:40 -0500
Hi Bob,

I have a W51 vintage 1967.   On this tower there are no rotor plate tabs on
the legs.   The rotor plate is drilled in each corner and uses (3) wedge
lock arrangements.  Each wedge lock was fabricated by welding a piece of
threaded rod to a short section of structural angle.  The threaded rod is
mounted through the hole in the rotor plates while the angle straddles the
inside of the tower leg.  When a nut is drawn up on the threaded rod, it
wedges the angle tight against the inside of the tower leg.

Hope this info helps.

P.S.  I would avoid drilling though the legs - it will create stress
concentrations and weaken the structure.

73
Matt
KM5VI