Re: [TowerTalk] 40M rotary dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40M rotary dipole
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 00:12:39 -0700
On 9/20/2017 10:35 PM, Stan Stockton wrote:
I am curious.  The coax/tower (we'll call it Antenna 1) is isolated from
Antenna 2 (the real antenna) with a choke.

Antenna 1 is still radiating the noise without, let's say, direct connection to
Antenna 2.

So there is no propagation such that Antenna 2 picks up the noise radiated from
Antenna 1, end of which is at most a few inches away?

Good question. The answer is, yes, and it's a question of degree. Let's assume that Ant 2 is a horizontal beam. This makes it cross-polarized with Ant 1, so there's much less coupling than if they were not cross-polarized. Also, the peaks of their radiation patterns are the direction of the other antenna. The result is that it's a LOT less coupling than direct via the common mode current.

Feedline chokes don't usually provide a LOT of noise reduction unless what you're starting with is a train wreck, but neither do Beverages. If you're trying to work the weak ones, 3-6 dB better signal to noise can make a big difference! As N6BT wrote in his self-published "Array of Light" book about antenna design, that level of improvement gives you another level of stations to work!

73, Jim K9YC