Re: [TowerTalk] Doublet for 80/40M using ladder line

To: Bert Almemo <balmemo@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Doublet for 80/40M using ladder line
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@me.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 20:52:45 -0700
With a good ATU, an open-wire fed short dipole can perform quite well. There
are many advantages over using coax - first the losses in the line will be much
lower than with coax.
Noting that he wants to use a shortened dipole and not one cut for 80 meters,
the antenna will not provide a good match on any of the bands. This means that
the coax will also
not be matched and will provide a large amount of loss resulting in heating of
the line. Open-wire will also not be matched, but it will also not suffer from
dielectric heating the way
coax does. Ladder line will provide a bit more dielectric to be heated, but it
will also be much better than coax. The low loss in the line means that the
antenna will essentially be
transported to the tuner, where the match can be properly made to make the
transmitter happy. In general, as N6BV has shown, the loss in coax really can’t
be overstated. At
the same time, the loss in open-wire, while still significant, is no where near
as high.

Now I will also add that I far prefer tank-circuit tuners over L or T style
ATUs (with the necessary balun). However it is far more difficult to build an
Auto-tuner in the form of
a tank circuit (but certainly not impossible). In using an L style ATU the
losses from the ATU to the balun will also be significant, but not nearly as
high as a lengthy run of coax
to the center feed.

The biggest thing I would suggest is to try both. Put one up and try it for a
while (months), keeping very good records of stations worked and heard, or even
better using the
RBN to track your signal, then take it down and try the other. Ham radio has
traditionally been a great place for experimentation, and this is a perfect
place to do some.
Along the way, you will learn a lot about both types of antennas.

73,

Jack, W6FB