Re: [TowerTalk] Fan dipole construction methods

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fan dipole construction methods
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 09:26:03 -0700
I would not recommend a parallel/fan dipole with 80/30 meters.  I've
tried it several times and the 80 meters wire detunes 30 meters. The
antenna works as badly as if one simply used a tuner to force power
into the 80 meter wire.

I agree completely.  For about five years, I had a 2-wire fan for 80 and 40. with loading coils and some wire added to the 80 dipole that resonated it on the low end of 160. It worked well on all bands and also on 30M and 15M. When part of the antenna broke, I rebuilt it without the 160M coils and wire, and it no longer worked on 30M. Modeling predicted the poor 30M result. The loading coils for that antenna came from Hypower Antenna Co, a W3 ham in his basement. Good guy, good stuff, don't remember his call.

Paul -- my construction details are in the links I've posted here, and are on my website in the slide show about antennas for limited space.

73, Jim K9YC