Re: [TowerTalk] Fan Dipole (I thought taht was the discussion)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fan Dipole (I thought taht was the discussion)
From: Tom Osborne <w7why1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 17:33:24 -0700
When we were Novices, it's a wonder we made any contacts at all :-)  Back
in '55, I was the only ham in Port Orford when I got on and had a sort of
Elmer in W7EUG, who lived in Riverton.  He gave me my Novice and
Conditional tests.  He had an 80 meter dipole and had it fed with that old
'twisted pair' telephone line for a feedline.  He gave me some of it to use
on my first antenna.

I had a Heathkit AT-1 transmitter and one crystal for 7178.5.   I didn't
have any PL-259's so I just bent one of the wires on the twisted pair
(which was really stiff copperweld/steel wire) and poked it in the coax
jack on the back of the AT-1.  The other wire I just taped to the outside
of the coax jack with a piece of tape.

Actually worked a WL7 one night for my first ever DX contacts.  That whet
my appetite for more :-)  73
Tom W7WHY