Re: [TowerTalk] Determine inductance of a Torrid with N Turns

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Determine inductance of a Torrid with N Turns
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 09:10:16 -0700
Hi Chuck,

That core is #31 material, which is designed for use to wind common mode chokes. An effective common mode choke has a low-Q parallel resonant at frequencies where we want to use it. The resonance is between its inductance and its "stray" (some say "parasitic") capacitance. The resistive component is coupled from the core in series with the inductance.  The value of C is so dependent on winding style and the value of mu has a relatively wide tolerance that I've never looked at the equations you cite for this application. What matters is that R and L increase proportionally with N squared and C increases proportionally with N, where N is the number of turns. The circuit Q of a choke wound on #31 cores to resonate at HF is typically around 0.4 to 0.5. This very low Q makes the resonance quite broad, and the dimensional resonance of the core adds another octave of bandwidth on the low end when the resonance is below about 4 MHz.

Lots of detail about this in k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

If you want a ferrite core for use as an inductor, other materials are a better choice.

73, Jim K9YC