[TowerTalk] weatherproofing connectors visited.

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] weatherproofing connectors visited.
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 02:39:48 -0400
One of the favorites (although I don't know by what percent) was wrapping the first layer with the sticky side out. It does leave the connectors nice and clean. OTOH there was a complaint about the hot melt glue from flooded heat shrink not adhering.  IOW, to diametrically opposed approaches.

The answer for the hot melt glue not adhering is simple foreign material.  A fingerprint, lube used to flood connectors, or just plain skin oil/sweat will prevent hot melt glue, or tape from forming a good mechanical connection. This is a place where cleanliness is important.

For good adhesion whether tape or hot melt glue, the connectors and coax must be clean. The tape and/or the hot melt glue must adhere with no voids

One thing with either hot melt glue, or tape. If it has food adhesion to both the metal and the coax they both add strength. "Typically" as most hams install UHF connectors they are relatively weak.  When the hot shrink tube is installed over the connectors and out onto the coax jacket of most RG8 type coax, the connection will support my 170# plus gear. IOW, about 200#.  I've had taped connections fail that test.  When the inner layer is wound sticky side out the only additional strength has to come from the exterior wrap that extends onto the coax jacket on both sides

One additional comment about flooded coax connectors. Forget trying to clean and solder. Just use crimp connectors.

Roger (K8RI)

---