Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: (80 Meter yagi question) Cu <=> Ag

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: (80 Meter yagi question) Cu <=> Ag
From: Howard Hoyt <hhoyt@mebtel.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 14:24:29 -0400
Hi Bob,

Two data points:

1) When I worked at a radio astronomy lab as a college student the engineers there said silver plating the machined copper cavities ruined their performance which I didn't understand at the time.

2) The broadcast equipment I maintain uses aluminum straps and tank components in the plate cavities and running at quite high powers the straps themselves seem to run cool, except for where they are tied to the anodes of the 4CXxxxxx tubes.  I believe they are intended to help pull heat away from the anode seal in that usage.

If that study is to be believed, perhaps the silver-plating thing in ham equipment is a vestige of earlier manufacturing beliefs and techniques, plus corroded copper is difficult to clean and looks like hell?  Based on the study, lacquered polished copper or over-sized aluminum would appear to be the winner for coil construction.

Howie - WA4PSC