Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex winch problem

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex winch problem
From: Dan Bookwalter via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 15:58:52 +0000 (UTC)
Dave
Do not force it !!!! It will break the break mechanism...
I did this and had to crank tower all the way down never letting go , wait
until Monday and call tech support , they can walk yoh thru a couple potential
solutions.
Dan

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 11:55 AM, DAVE WRIGHT via
TowerTalk<towertalk@contesting.com> wrote:   Greetings,

I'm having a problem w/my winch on my Tri-Ex LM-354 tower. The stock hand-winch
is "stuck" & will not move "downward."
Apparently the friction clutch has stuck as it has not been moved much over the
last several years. It does move UP just fine. But when I try to go down, it
refuses to move; even when great strength is applied.
I've only managed to get it to move an inch or two after several tries. I fear
if I try too hard it may suddenly just come totally "free" & the tower will
"fall" all the way to the nested position, likey damaging the tower.
Should I continue to try to "force-it" down & take the chance of it falling? Or
should I try to "lever" or "jack"  it past the "hard-spot?"
I likely will replace it after this problem is solved. No sense taking more
chances. I really appreciate any suggestions you may have. BTW, Tashijan Tower
has the part listed on their price/part listing as below:

| K1550 Fulton Winch  | 041-0335  | 20 | $165.00 |

Thank you,
Dave K6JOX