Re: [TowerTalk] rotor @ 200m distance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rotor @ 200m distance
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 12:51:35 -0700

I like using this website for that sort of thing.

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

Dave   AB7E

On 10/14/2017 10:08 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 10/14/2017 9:44 AM, Filipe Lopes wrote:
My question is regarding the rotor, what kind of cable or how should one
rotate the rotor at such distance? I guess the voltage drop is quite high,
meaning the rotor will turn very very slowly or even not turn at all.

Ohm's Law is your friend, but Yaesu's tech data is not. :) They don't give you a maximum permitted resistance so you must compute it. I have a 350 ft run on my Yaesu rotator. I had to figure conductor resistance for their maximum recommended cable length based on its conductor size, then do Ohm's Law with a wire table to know what wire size to use. One important piece of information -- study the schematic of whatever rototor you are using. With the Yaesu, two conductors run the motor, the other three sense the position of a simple potentiometer that tells direction. Only the motor pair is sensitive to resistance. I ended up using #14 "house wire" for the motor pair and #18 for the potentiometer.

73, Jim K9YC