Re: [TowerTalk] More information about my problem; . Re: Heliax acting

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More information about my problem; . Re: Heliax acting strangely: Help?
From: David Aslin G3WGN <david@aslinvc.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:14:52 +0000
Hi Doug,
We had a similar issue with an LDF5-50 feeder at K6IDX, except that the line
had been in place for more than 15 years IIRC.  The connectors had been
installed by a celltower professional, with a very thorough multilayer taping
regime.  So moisture had been kept out for a long time, or so we thought.
We started to notice we didn't 'feel' as loud as we used to using the antennas
on that tower.  Our initial response was 'can't be the feeder, let's look
elsewhere'. Having tried many possibilities up the tower and on the antennas,
we finally decided to break the (ground-level) connection and cut back the
cable.  Don't want to alarm you, but we had green copper salts discoloring the
foam dielectric quite a ways along.  We decided to keep cutting back, one foot
at a time, until we got to new-looking cable. Memory says it was about 10 feet
or so...
I still have a one foot length we removed, hanging on the workshop wall. It's
there as a reminder that even professionally and correctly installed outside
devices can be the source of trouble over time - and to follow a logical
troubleshooting path at all times.  I'm sure a TDR would have got us there
faster...
73, David G3WGN  M6O  WJ6O
Hired gun at K6IDX 2002-2009