Re: [TowerTalk] Star guys vs rotating tower ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Star guys vs rotating tower ?
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 11:53:55 -0400
I had a 143' R45 rotating tower (RTS with rotor at 40') .... and now have a 147' R55 rotating tower (K0XG w/ rotor at base) ... I can't say I've ever seen it 'twist' ... the whole thing turns and pulls on the slack on the chain but I've not seen it twist per se. I too like the idea that it is allowed to do so. This of course means the rotor has to be more robust - but the K0XG, and it turns out the RTS are quite so.

I had 20' of tower above the top guy on the R45 system with antennas just above that guy, 10' above it and 18' above it ... it "curved" with really high winds ... now with the R55 system I have 25' of tower above that top guy with bigger antennas - at 1' above it, 13' and 22' .... but it is rock solid - that stated it hasn't been in the presence of winds like I saw in AZ, yet.

Gary
K9RX

-----Original Message----- From: Richard Thorne