Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of cables to tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding of cables to tower?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 18:02:32 -0700
On 10/18/17 5:41 PM, jimlux wrote:

1) current carrying capacity - RG174 probably wouldn't hack it. I don't know about RG-8/RG-213 sized.

A quick google for "ampacity of coaxial cable" turns up interesting info..
RG-58 has an ampacity of just under 5 Amps at 40C (if your coax is in the sun, the ampacity will be lower)

http://www.power-supply-designer.com/2011/02/coaxial-power-cable/

http://www.scte.org/SCTEDocs/Standards/ANSI_SCTE%2032%202016.pdf
which has this note:
"This procedure shall not be used to determine ground conductor size as
referenced in NEC Article 810, 820 or 830 as applicable."

but continuing on..

Drop cables in the 59 series are 4-5 Amps at 50C
in the 6 series (RG-6 I suppose) are 6 A

I don't know what "Trunk and distribution cable" in Table 1 corresponds to typical ham coax (like 9913F)