Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25g unguyed height

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25g unguyed height
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 07:54:45 -0700
I've done it with 3 25G sections bracketed at 15' and 8' exposed mast with a TH7DX at the top and it and house survived a couple of edge of hurricane blows, probably 80mph gusts. Yes, unguyed 25G is wobbly stuff even when bolted correctly.

A potential big issue is the gable end of a roof that typically the bracket attaches to is not a structural element of a house. It mostly is there to close up the end for weather. The rafters and joists handle the structural loads on the roof. The gable end 2 by studs are toe nailed top and bottom so it doesn't take much pull them out. Some backyard engineering I did was to brace across 5 studs with lagged double 2x8's and then use 2x angle steel to 4x8 3/4 plywood nailed to the attic joists. All thread thru to the bracing from the bracket. Several staggered 4x8 sheets shear wall nailed to joists to make a local structural membrane to pass the load to the actual house structure (a full floor is much better). Adding screwed Simpson ties top and bottom of the gable studs would also be a good idea. If attaching a bracket to a gable with finished interior space it gets ugly, or just luck without reinforcement, since most framers use the fewest nails they can get away with.

Grant KZ1W