Re: [TowerTalk] connector for LDF5-50 (not the newer -50A version)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] connector for LDF5-50 (not the newer -50A version)
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 17:56:57 -0400
> For example the L5TNM-PS connector had the -50 part number listed.
> Searching again for box tabs on what looked to be newer boxes
> showed the
> same L5TNM-PS listed as "-50A only".  I would guess that leaving the
> connector part number unchanged for a fundamentally
> incompatible coax set
> would create a massive mess for the installer base at the time.

No, the later ones were marked "-50A only" because there was also an
LDF5-50B that came out near the end of the LDF product line which used
connectors that were incompatible with LDF5-50A due to differences in the
dielectric, which changed the dielectric constant, which then required a
change in the diameter of the center conductor.  Note that -50B was only
made in the LDF5 (7/8") series, not for any other sizes of LDF.

> In any event I'm going to try as John is suggesting - to use
> one of the L5
> series connectors marked for the -50A to see if it actually works.

You'd be better of getting modern connectors from either RFS, or their OEM
Spinner.  They have "flared finger" center conductor contacts that slide
inside the center conductor, and unlike older connectors with threaded
center pins that screw into the center conductor which require perfect
matching of OD of pin to ID of center, they will work with most 7/8"
annular-corrugation cables.  I don't have any old -50 laying around here to
test on to confirm, but I'm 99% sure they will work fine, and can send you
one to try if you want.

                                        --- Jeff WN3A

---