Re: [TowerTalk] Cob Web Antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cob Web Antenna
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 08:33:29 -0400

> What happens when such an antenna is mounted vertically?

You lose the "ground gain" ... it becomes a vertical dipole but
with nulls "broadside".

Most of the Cobweb style antennas I have seen stop at 20m yet they
would seem an ideal way to get reasonable size antennas on 30/40m, I
don't consider a full size 20m quad loop overly big. What's the
catch?
The difficulty of creating a sufficiently "strong" spreader assembly
to support the weight (particularly of the balun box) and the narrow
SWR.  Assuming the same percentage bandwidth as on 20 meters, a 40 meter
element will have < 50 KHz of usable bandwidth without a tuner of some
kind.  With high power and high SWR, I would be concerned for the balun
(matching transformer).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV