Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square advice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square advice
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 21:36:03 -0800
On 11/10/2017 7:37 PM, Jeff wrote:
I have been poking around using AutoEZ (a front end for EZNEC) where the guy has cooked up a comprehensive model for the 4-square inclusive of a hybrid combiner.

You've described a really good process, Jeff. One caution that you're probably aware of, but just in case -- NEC can get real picky about segment length in certain situations, and I think that parallel wires is one of them.

One data point -- when I made the 100 ft vertical section of my 160M Tee two wires rather than one, spaced by 6-8 inches, the 2:1 SWR bandwidth approximately doubled. The tuning, of course, moves slightly down in frequency. You're also quite right to be concerned about twisting. Mine does twist, and I've been too lazy to do what's needed to fix it. The method you describe sounds like a good one. The tree guys are coming around in a month or two to rig one end of that antenna higher (and re-rig an 80M dipole that I lost in a storm last spring), and I'll take that opportunity to re-build that vertical section with more spacers. But I can't use your method of anchoring each vertical wire separately, because my vertical blows around too much in the wind.

As I'm sure you know and Bill both know, effective bandwidth of the array is affected both by that effective conductor diameter and the array spacing. And your model will take that into account.

73, Jim K9YC