Re: [TowerTalk] add a 3rd el to 40-2cd

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] add a 3rd el to 40-2cd
From: Mpridesti via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 17:53:58 -0500
I built one using a longer DE (55 ft) and changed the 402CD elements to a
director (old DE) and the reflector. The boom used was 3 inch OD x 42 ft.

Had I stayed in my old QTH, was going to use two 402CD DE’s with the longer DE
and build a reversible 3 el.  By adding a 7 ft stub on each parasitic element
and a relay to open/short the center, it would become reversible. Probably
would put it on a 48 ft boom to improve performance.  Did start some prototype
work and was seeing 20 dB F/B.

Biggest negative is the low Q coils Cushcraft used. Was told that if I used
these coils on all 3 elements, gain would not be good so I opted to make a
bigger (closer to full size) DE and raise the Q of those coils.  Overall it
seemed pretty effective although F/B was not that good - required more
tweaking.

Good luck but do consider a 2 el Moxon as a better choice.

Regards,
Mark, K1RX