Re: [TowerTalk] XM240 SWR plots

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM240 SWR plots
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 15:39:53 -0700
On 3/25/2018 3:17 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
It's important to remember that SWR is NOT an indication of antenna performance. It ONLY indicates a match to the feedline as measured in the shack.  It does not tell us that the antenna has gain, nor does it 73, Jim K9YC

Jim is exactly right (as usual). When I first got my MonstIR up, I took advantage of the fact that I could adjust the length of the three elements individually. Just to prove a point, I tuned up the antenna the usual way for CW (all 3 elements optimized); then I QSYed the
radio to the phone band.  The SWR was not ridiculously high and a
radio with a tuner could drive it.  I retuned just the driven element to
get the best SWR I could, without changing the parasitic elements.
That improved the SWR somewhat. However, as expected, the antenna suffered a substantial drop in gain and F/B ratio to where it wasn't
much better than a rotatable dipole.

Rick N6RK