Re: [TowerTalk] mounting a dipole to the side of a tower

To: Ron Young W8RJL <youngron@verizon.net>, kj6y--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] mounting a dipole to the side of a tower
From: Dave Sublette <k4to.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 19:03:01 -0400
Very good questions, Ron.  I will attempt to clarify.  The antenna always
hangs or bolts to the tower horizontally.  To raise it, I strung a trolly
cable to a point well out from the base of the tower.  The raising angle
was less than 45 degrees.

The guys are all non-inductive. Phillystran.

Although I haven't measured with an ohmmeter, I would be very surprised to
find either half of the antenna shorted to the tower.  The saddle clamps
hold it about a half inch away from the mounting plate and each side of the
dipole is insulated with the split PVC pipe under the U-bolts between them
and the saddle clamp.
I've never noticed any change in SWR as the antenna rotates.

Dave