Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain Antenna Quality control issues: Let's Put MFJ in

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain Antenna Quality control issues: Let's Put MFJ in Perspective
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 14:58:22 -0500
Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.

I have a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower (post ownership change to MFJ) For newbies who aren't familiar, it is a multi-band vertical that mounts to a foundation of a cubic yard of concrete and is free standing and tilt over (no guys) and is about 53 ft tall.  First 24 ft is triangular tower and the rest is telescopic aluminum tubes It came complete as a kit, no missing parts.  I, shortly after buying but before installing, ordered a 17 meter stub to add a band beyond the 80, 75, 40, 20, 15, 10 meter capabilities.  I did design/build an alternative base/mount in lieu of a concrete foundation to install the antenna atop a steel bld (sans concrete and added a 4-way Phillystran guy system at the 24 ft level.)  The guys were not a wind consideration but were to avoid the intensive reinforcing to the roof if I wanted to stay guyless.  I attach wire antennas at right angles with no noticed alteration to performance.

Maybe I was just lucky or maybe it is just really simple construction but this is one perfectly acceptable product from MFJ.

I am quite pleased with its performance and it has withstood Oklahoma winds and ice storms over 5 years with no detected degradation. There are no traps or other dodads.  I have a 160 meter kit to make an inverted L on 160 when-if I get around to installing it.  I did wire an RF choke to DC ground the base of the antenna so as to drain static electricity with considerable success.  I don't find fault with MFJ for not including an RF choke.

I also know some horror stories re MFJ but wanted to give another data point.

Patrick        NJ5G