[TowerTalk] Torque Limiter

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Torque Limiter
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 15:39:11 -0400
I use star guys on all of my guyed towers to minimize movement. A rotating
tower has nothing to prevent it from twisting in the wind. It seems to me
that the whole tower would absorb some of the torque on the rotator. I
would use a ramp start and stop, I have also never seen a torque limiting
device on one.

John KK9A

Dave Sublette k4to wrote:

The recent thread concerning a rusted nut on a torque limiter caught me
completely off guard.   I have run a 200 foot rotating Rohn 55 with a
Rotating Tower Systems chain drive without a torque limiting device for 28
years without a problem.  I had lots of big antennas, heavy, and not
particularly well balanced weight-wise or aerodynamically.

I have never had to rebuild a rotator or had any damage to chains or
sprockets.

So my question is:

Do you need one for an adequately designed drive system?  I'm not trying to
raise controversy or start a debate.  I am genuinely surprised to learn
that there are such things.

I do know that some folks put large springs on some mast installations that
use smaller rotators.  I have just never heard of a torque limiter on a
rotating tower.  I guess I am naive and a bit lucky to have survived for 28
years without one.  I suppose now that I know about it, it will break.  :-)

So what is everyone using in this department?

73,

Dave, K4TO