Re: [TowerTalk] Adjusting the reflector

To: towertalk@contesting.com, John Keating <john.keating@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Adjusting the reflector
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 00:39:01 -0700 (PDT)
Hi John and the rest of the guys and gals,

My little bit of experience with both quads and yagi's has taught me a
reflector should be about 3-5% longer than the driven element. Using the coils
complicates the issue but sounds like you may have better tools than I did
years back. I used to be fpretty good using NEC2 designing quads and still plan
another big array.  As far as weather to make the parasitic element a reflector
or a director I remember when building a 2 element 20 meter beam out of the
parts from my old 'Gotham Quad' way back early in my ham radio time. A director
has a little more gain than a reflector for a 2 element. Think that must have
come from Bill Orr's beam antenna handbook that little tid-bit. That was way
back in 1977 or so and Bill Orr's quad and beam handbooks were my 'bibles' for
antennas.. I never was able to get the Gotham Quad to get lower than about 3:1
SWR. Worked anyway but being new to ham radio I never tried a tuner that would
have cured my issues I think. Had a lot of fun building t
 hings from that cheap aluminum tubing. The 2 element beam worked pretty good
using my home brew gamma match using gas line for dielectric insulation..

But the basic point is Yagi's and quads usually have 3-5% length difference one
way or the other with closer supposedly giving higher gain. Add more elements
and perhaps all bets are off judging by some of the detentions I've seen on
various monoband Yagi's.

Terry

KI7M