Re: [TowerTalk] VA6AM triplexer and BPFs

To: "reflector Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] VA6AM triplexer and BPFs
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:29:00 -0700
I just installed the very same system at W7WW's last Friday. He also got the 100 cfm fan on the 10 Meter BPF because his antenna has a 2:1 SWR at 28.0, and he is a RTTY guy. He also has the system installed in the shack, right behind the operating table. The three 50 cfm fans are not loud at all. They are set to come on whenever he turns on one of the AL-1500 Amplifiers. With the noise generated by the AL-1500 blowers, and with headphones on, the three 50 cfm fans are not audible.

The 100 cfm fan is a totally different story. It sounds like a Hoover vacuum cleaner, and overrides all of the other noises in the shack, including the window AC unit. We have it wired to the 10 meter position of the Six-Pak selector switch so that fan comes on only when 10 is selected. You can ask Pavel what the thinks, but I would really try to get by with the 50 cfm fan. I think I saw a blurb where K3LR says the 100 cfm was too loud, and reduced the voltage to 10-11 volts. Now that I think of it, W7WW's Astron is set to 14.5 volts, so maybe we will also try reducing the fan voltage with a few diodes or a resistor.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

-----Original Message----- From: Bill via TowerTalk