Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna wind load vs tower specs.

To: sawyered@earthlink.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna wind load vs tower specs.
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 19:13:59 -0700
My largest tower is 142' of Rohn 65G double Phillystran 25k# guys at 62' and 122', 20' section above the top guys. It's partially in 100' trees and I wanted the tower to have a chance to win a tree fall on a guy experience. The 20' top section w/o guys was to accommodate two ring rotators.

At the top is 15' of 3" mast to a 2L JK 80m beam ~300#, prop pitch rotator. I made a UV resistant UHMW 4" thick radial bearing, mounted it on a waterjet cut 1/4" steel HDG top plate with a 316 stainless steel thrust ring bearing on the UHMW.
then 3L full size 40m, 48' boom, ~300# at 140' on K0XG ring
and 5L 20m 48' boom, ~200# at 124' on K0XG ring

All PE engineered (he designs and builds towers worldwide) The commercial tower erector and antenna installer was complimentary of the tower's stability. Maybe some 65 mph wind so far in 4 years. One large ice storm but accumulated to 1.5" only on lower beams. Lot's of sag but all survived.

One calibration is to check the load capacity of an unguyed tower of the same height as the amount above the guys. For 65G 110mph 3 second exposure B that is 95 sq ft at 20'. Really only my 80m and 40m are in that calculation since the 20m is essentially at the base, so I'm way below 95 sq ft. I'm as comfortable as one should be with a big tower and lots of aluminum. It is serviced and checked annually top to bottom.

Grant KZ1W
Redmond, WA