Re: [TowerTalk] Andrew Hardline Connector Tool Problem

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Andrew Hardline Connector Tool Problem
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 21:09:38 -0400
Terry,

Since you've looked on youtube, I assume you've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_NlDslWBaI

In spite of my many years in the cell industry, I've never used EZFit connectors. But the video shows that the prepping of the cable is more involved than traditional Andrew/Commscope connectors. If your prep tool(s) don't prep the cable as shown in the video, you don't have the right tools for the EZFit connector.

I'm tempted to suggest using easily available AL5 connectors which can be installed using simple cheap tools and work very very well.

However I'll say this: Connectors that require coring of the dielectric *tend* to be better connectors mechanically because they get under the shield further and get a better grip on it. Commscope (before they bought Andrew's coax & connector division) always used coring prep tools for their long CATV distro lines - for good reason.

-Steve K8LX