Re: [TowerTalk] Amount of "Goop" to use in Telescoping Aluminum Tubing C

To: "'Richard Smith'" <n6kt1@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Amount of "Goop" to use in Telescoping Aluminum Tubing Connections?
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 21:10:46 -0400
Rich:

     When I built my HF Yagi (Bencher Skyhawk) in 2001, I followed the
then-recommended practice from TowerTalk to use a minimal amount of No-Al-Ox on
the elements joints.  I cleaned the inside of the larger tubing and outside of
the smaller tubing with a Scotchbrite (R) scouring pad.  I used this plastic
pad so as not to leave any traces of iron from steel wool pads on the aluminum
surfaces that could cause galvanic corrosion from the dissimilar metals.

     I applied a small amount of No-Al-Ox with the included brush to the mating
surfaces and wiped it off thoroughly with a second, CLEAN Scotchbrite pad.  I
used this second pad so as not to deposit into the No-Al-Ox the dirty material
I had just removed from the aluminum with the first pad.  I telescoped the
pieces of element tubing together and applied the requisite rivets to the joint.

     I have not attempted to disassemble the Yagi yet so I can't attest to
whether the No-Al-Ox was applied in sufficient or deficient quantity.  But so
far I don't have to care.  The antenna still works for me.

     YMMV.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F