[TowerTalk] M2 Orion 2800 question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] M2 Orion 2800 question
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 04:50:08 -0700
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 22:34:31 -0500
From: Clay Autery <KY5G@montac.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] M2 Orion 2800 question

<Wow.... with that much potential repair cost, I would replace that bolt
<with a cross-drilled bolt-head and safety wire it.

______________________
<Clay Autery, KY5G

##  safety wire it...to what ?   I dont see anything to wire it to...esp if the
self centering guide is used. If the self centering guide is used,  they
provide you
with a much longer  .25 – 20  SS bolt.

##  easiest fix is to just use  either  red or blue  loctite and be done with
it.
On one of my  OR-2800  rotors, the DC type, the final .375 thick main gear was
trashed,
along with the smaller, but much thicker gear that drives it, like  really
trashed.
My fix for that was the K7NV  small PP..and  GH  control box.

##  I also had a 2nd  OR-2800..which used the AC motor.  The cap for the AC
motor
packed it in..and is located inside the rotor.   The mast clamp they provide,
although
looking heavy duty, and weighing a bunch, is less than optimum.   The OR-2800
is a good rotor,
but does have its limitations.   Dont put oversized, large, yagis on it,  esp
if they are not  TQ
balanced.

Jim  VE7RF