Re: [TowerTalk] Re; Need Help Remembering Something I Read

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re; Need Help Remembering Something I Read
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 12:24:22 -0700

On 7/8/2018 9:23 AM, jimlux wrote:

1) do you have a broadband(ish) preamp (perhaps with band select filters) and bring coax back to the shack where you digitize it 2) Do you put the digitizer out at the antenna, and bring the samples back by network? 3) What should the digitizer look like? A Superhet or Direct Conversion/Low IF front end followed by a low speed high resolution sampler? Or a wide open sampler?

Just something else to worry about:

Buried in the boilerplate of contest rules is something to the
effect that "antennas must be connected by wires", whatever
that means.  Can the "wires" be CAT5 network cables?
I guess "bring the samples back by network" excludes a wireless
network (wi-fi, etc.)

Rick N6RK