Re: [TowerTalk] Auto tuners, Baluns and open wire feeders

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Auto tuners, Baluns and open wire feeders
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 15:27:37 -0700
On 7/17/18 3:13 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 7/17/2018 1:50 PM, jimlux wrote:
Yes, you need a choke on the coax at the tuner (which is what forces the above statement - you don't want currents going down the outside of the coax).

A choke at the tuner is NOT equivalent to a choke at the feedpoint (although a choke both places is not a bad thing).

The length of feedline between the antenna and the choke IS PART OF THE ANTENNA, so noise picked up on that length of line is coupled to the antenna, then comes back down the line (as a differential signal) to the receiver.

I agree - I was assuming the "feedline" is short (single digit feet) and reasonably balanced (so that environmental noise would couple equally to both sides). And, of course, the tuner itself is sort of an asymmetric thing, and if it has a conductive box (or a ground plane under the PWB inside a plastic box), then noise could couple in that way too.