Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: 5 Band Yagi with more than 2 elements per band

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: 5 Band Yagi with more than 2 elements per band
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 13:29:43 -0400
>##  I spoke with Ken,  W3JK  a while back on the telephone, and yes,
indeed, he does
make a new and improved version of the oem  F12   5BA

When someone has the JK model number, please pass along the info.  I don't
see it listed on their website.

Like the Optibeam OB16-5, it sounds like the JK may be an alternative to a 4
el. SteppIR Yagi, but with the ability to simultaneously multiplex onto one
antenna.  However, to get comparable performance to a SteppIR on a 10m boom,
Optibeam uses 16 elements instead of 4.  That's a lot of aluminum to keep
straight and in the air during major storms.  One design dies by lightning,
controller, and tape motor failure while the other dies by aluminum element
breakage.  Truly, there's no free lunch.

Paul, W9AC