Re: [TowerTalk] Towers near airports

To: towertalk@contesting.com, Chris Hoelzle <hoelzlechris@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Towers near airports
From: Timothy Coker via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 19:39:07 +0000 (UTC)
 Here's a link where 2 separate aircraft crashed into a 600+ foot tower over
the course of a 44 year period in southern California. The FAA ruled that the
benefit of the 600+ foot tower, under two miles from the airport did not pose a
serious risk to air traffic.
https://www.ocregister.com/2008/01/08/radio-tower-to-rise-again-near-fullerton-airport/
This might be useful if a smaller area with less air traffic were to attempt to
limit your emergency radio traffic tower.
I remember that tower from my flying days... it was big but we all knew where
it was. It definitely caused pause to be sure of where it was in that congested
air traffic area. That was 600 feet, not the typical ham radio tower height...

73,
Tim / N6WIN.

    On Monday, July 30, 2018, 11:58:56 AM PDT, Chris Hoelzle