Re: [TowerTalk] Split Loom as an anti-critter device?

To: scott@nx7u.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Split Loom as an anti-critter device?
From: "K4IDC@comcast.net" <robink4idc@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 10:57:25 -0500
I live on a heavily wooded lot in middle Tennessee. We have lots of
squirrels, raccoons, opossum & other gnawing critters. I use 1/2" CATV
hardline from the shack to a 160m folded dipole which is strung up in the
woods. The coax is on the ground for most of the run, A few years ago I had
to cut out & replace ~12" long section that had been chewed to the point of
being useless. It happened to be near a junction in the cable. After making
the repair, I covered the junction with self-adhesive aluminum tape, the
same stuff used to seal up HVAC ducts. I haven't had the problem since, but
that's no guarantee it won't happen again at another location.
Also, the wiring under the hood of my truck & on our boat has been chewed
through on occasions, probably by squirrels. Rodents will chew on nearly
anything. I'm told that fox urine is a good deterrent. It's available in an
spray can from outdoor/hunting suppliers, and it's expensive.
Of the options presented, I'm in favor of PVC conduit for your solution.
Thanks,
Robin Midgett K4IDC