Re: [TowerTalk] any chance for a qso for sweepstakes

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] any chance for a qso for sweepstakes
From: Don <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 10:44:52 -0800
Not a tower item, but an interesting thread. I was curious what the FCC Regulations stated and how the ARRL viewed the topic. So I asked Dan Henderson, the ARRL Reg Info Manager. What he says mirrors what I've read on DX blogs.

"/Hey Don/

//

/ The core is Part 97.119./

//

/In territory where the FCC regulates amateur radio (which includes KP2, KP4, etc) a US licensee in only required to give their FCC assigned callsign.  You are not required by the FCC to sign portable or mobile, etc.  You may choose to do so, but it isn’t required. It would be as legal for me to sign N1ND in Hawaii as it would for me to sign N1ND/KH6.  A foreign licensee operating under reciprocity per 97.107 does have to identify with an identifier per 97.119./

//

///You won’t find it spelled out that specifically in Part 97.  They don’t say what it is not required – they simply say what is required.  The core is Part 97.119./"

So, it appears the only place the slant or portable designation is required is where it involves reciprocal operating authority as outlined in FCC 97-107.

It seems this does not preclude a requirement by a contesting group for a particular contest to require the entry of the slash or portable designation when scoring is based on the DXCC designation of places like Alaska (KL/W1XXX), Hawaii (KHx/W1XXX), etc.(so what may be received may be entered differently in the logging program).

My example is based on their only being one KL entity, unlike KH which has several.

But I could be wrong re the contest setups, not well versed on them.

Don W7WLL