Re: [TowerTalk] Arc fault Acom 2K

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Arc fault Acom 2K
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 13:19:10 -0500
The Acom 2000a is awesome amplifier except that it is super sensitive to
arcing. I wish that there was a way to bypass this protection or make it
less sensitive since the amp shutting off in a contest for such a minor
issue can be a real pain. Somewhere in your antenna system there is a less
than perfect connection. The connection issue may even be in the amplifier
SO-239 as those do not seem to grip the PL259 pin very tight. I would
start by checking and cleaning all of your accessible connections and
relays.

GL
John KK9A

From:   W1JCW John
Date:   Fri, 9 Nov 2018 12:45:51 +0000

Have a strange problem in the shack.

Run the same antennas and had no issues, put in line my Yaesu 5000 and
palstar
AT.
All antennas tune flat 1:1 but when I run QRO the Acom 2K comes up with arc
fault even with low drive of 20watts.

I can place a load at the end of the coax outside and have no issues but
when I
got to any antenna 260' center fed dipole or a vertical I get a fault and the
amp shuts down.

Sounds like an RF issue but why now when nothing has changed outside?

Have not seen anything like this in 40yrs I've been operating.

73-
W1JCW
John