Re: [TowerTalk] new-to-me Force12 EF-180B rotary dipole

To: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] new-to-me Force12 EF-180B rotary dipole
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 08:33:30 -0800
I rebuilt the larger version, EF180C 86' tip to tip, with a Tornado dual variable L at the feedpoint. It covers the full 80m band in 50KHz steps using a MFJ screwdriver controller. A 50:25 ohm transmission line transformer provides the broadband low loss impedance match.

The linear loading wires were replaced with a dual Phillystran truss. YagiMech from DX Eng was used to do the mechanical modeling and EZNEC to find the inductance values. The stock EF180C would not survive >65mph so internal sleeving was added where needed and that yielded about a 90mph survival. The tubing was bent a bit where YagiMech predicted failure, so that needed replacing to permit sleeving. The factory ABS foam core pipe used as the feedpoint insulator crushed over time (DUH) and was replaced with custom machined UV resistant nylon saddles on a new 1/2" thick 6061 mast plate.

The Tornado reed switch used to drive the MFJ turns counter failed. My guess is a QRO transmission with the antenna mis-tuned caused the failure. A tricky job, but SECO was helpful in getting it done and an added choke will hopefully prevent future problems. Otherwise, the mods have held up for the past 6 years @ 102'. I don't think I've much more than 75mph wind @ 102', and did have one 1"+ ice storm.

Grant KZ1W